“I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life. And when we make the choice to dare greatly, we sign up to get our asses kicked. We can choose courage or we can choose comfort, but we can’t have both. Not at the same time.”—Brené Brown
2018 was, in so many ways, like The Tower from the tarot’s major arcana. The Tower is all about collapse of the old system, of letting go of ways of being and doing that no longer serve us.
The Tower is not a card of peaceful tranquility. When we’re in the throes of transformation, we’re not exactly meditating in a Zen garden. Transformation is hard. It’s scary. It requires a level of self-awareness that can be painful. It requires honesty that can rip us wide open. It exposes our fears, our flaws, our false beliefs.
And after the dust settles, as we stand in the ruins of what we once were, we are left with amazing opportunity. A fresh start. A new beginning. But we begin with a greater awareness than we had before—and that knowledge, painful as it was to acquire, is a gift.
From the outside, nothing much changed in my life in 2018. I enter 2019 living in the same house in the same town. My spiritual belief system is the same. My intended career path is the same. The major relationships in my life are the same. But on the inside, I have changed. I have found the courage to be my authentic, eccentric self, to share my work—my stories—with the world. I have found the courage to forge my own path, and finding that courage was not easy.
As I step into 2019, though, I enter with a clearer vision than I’ve ever had before of the path I want to walk. Armed with reserves of magic, love, and courage, I step onto this indie author path.
Here’s just some of what to expect in 2019:
- The release of my Tangled Magic series: four fantasy-romance novellas, released between May and the end of 2019.
- The launch of my Dark Faerie Tales series: This series of short stories promises fairy tales retold with a twist. Expect dark beginnings with brighter endings. First release, WITCHING HOUR, coming in mid-2019.
- The launch of my YouTube channel: I’m planning guided meditations, poetry, readings from my stories, and more. Launching spring 2019.
- I’m planning a blog series called Tarot Tuesdays, with the first Tuesday of every month featuring a post dedicated to discovering the life lessons in the tarot.
- And, of course, the launch of this website, which is very much a work-in-progress.
I may have a few other plans in the works, but I’ll keep those top-super-secret for now.
As we enter 2019, I wish you the brightest blessings. May 2019 bring you health, joy, love, and abundance.
What lessons did you learn in 2018? What hopes do you have for 2019? Have you ever experienced the exhilarating transformation of The Tower?